The last step in your makeup regime is lipstick application. Some women say if they could have only one beauty item it would be lipstick. Lip color brings the whole look together to create harmony. To keep your lips looking perfect, have lip color with you at all times and reapply when needed.
When you select a lip color take in consideration your clothing and blush colors. The color of your clothing and blush should complement your lipstick but doesn't have to be perfectly matched. However, the colors should be in the same intensity and range. Wear cool colors together and warm colors together. Pink lipsticks go with blue and pink colors and corals and russets go with clothing that falls in a yellow/orange range.
Steps to apply lip color:
1. Prepare your lips by applying foundation over them (this will extend the wear).
2. Outline and define the shape using a lip pencil that has soft, pointed top. Start at the V in your upper lip drawing down to the corners. Then, starting at the middle of the bottom lip draw a line to the corners. To help lipstick stay on longer, use your pencil to cover the lips entirely.
3. Fill in upper lip with lipstick or you can use a lip brush.
4. Fill in the lower lip and then blot with a tissue and reapply.
5. Dab gloss in the centre of your lower lip to create a fuller more glamorous look.
When defining the lips with a lip pencil be sure the pencil and lipstick colors are very close. The lip liner should not be noticeable. Lip liners are meant to keep your lipstick in place, keep lipstick from bleeding, define the shape and help them look more natural. Do not try to change the shape of your lips by going outside the natural line.
* Dark lipsticks will make small lips appear smaller.
Sheila Dicks is an image and wardrobe consultant who teaches women how to dress to suit their body type and look slimmer. You can visit her at http://www.sheilasfashionsense.com to download her "Image Makeover" ebook and get "How to Build a Wardrobe" free.
Brought to you by Ample Advice